Blogger Widgets Ender-Chan's Thoughts: The Doctor (Alternatively: Through Tears and Bleary Eyes)

Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Doctor (Alternatively: Through Tears and Bleary Eyes)



Image Description: A doctor with their hand over their face as if in pain. A stethoscope dangles haphazardly from the doctor's hand.


 A child came in screaming in pain
Hoping that I'd fix his leg.
Through tears and bleary eyes, he said
"Doctor, it hurts more than I can bear.
I wish it wouldn't. It isn't fair.
Doctor, can you fix my leg
So I can run and jump and play?"
And I said "Yes, I can."
And so I fixed his leg.

A woman came in with her X-rays
Knowing she'd need to count her days.
Through tears and bleary eyes, she said
"Doctor, this is more than I can bear.
This isn't right, This isn't fair.
Doctor, do I have many days
So with my children I can play?"
And I said "Yes, you do."
Away I filed the X-rays.

A man came in and a smile feigned
So only I could know his pain.
Through tears and bleary eyes, he said
"Doctor, it's more than I can bear.
This isn't right; nor is it fair.
Doctor, I fear I cannot live
To see my wife's face and my children's grins."
And I said "Yes, you can,"
But he died the next day.

Alone in my home, I screamed aloud.
My own pain came over like a shroud.
"Yes, it's more than I can bear.
It isn't right. It isn't fair.
My soul hurts deeply from life's wrongs
Why's it I who must be strong?"
Then someone knocked and said to me
The words I needed all along.

"I know you have a broken soul
That hurts much worse than what I know.
No cast or tonic can mend your ills,
Not syrups or shots, not IVs or pills.
Here I have come to call you home
And tell you that you're not alone."
And on that day, my pain had ceased.
The child I met was hugging me.

Image Credit: Healthfinch.com

3 comments:

Comment! I won't know what you have to say unless you say it.