Blogger Widgets Ender-Chan's Thoughts: What Is Anhedonia Not?

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

What Is Anhedonia Not?

Anhedonia is the inability or a reduced ability to feel pleasure. This can be (mis)interpreted as many things. This is purely empirically-based and not based on science.

  • A character strength. Anhedonia robbed me of the passion that drives me to do well. It makes me apathetic and unfocused. Please do not praise me for "having the strength/discipline" to be anhedonic. Most of the time, I'm trying just to get by. 
  • A character flaw. Anhedonia is not garden-variety laziness. Because of anhedonia, I want to do nothing. I don't even want to have fun. It is this parasite that robs me of pleasure. Anhedonia is not just a negative mindset. 
  • A natural emotional orientation such as temperament. Every temperament has some source of pleasure and, even within a temperament, those sources vary. Feeling no pleasure for extended periods of time is not healthy or natural regardless of temperament.
  • A choice. One day, I woke up. My chocolate coffee tasted like sludge. My music arrangements just sounded like sound instead of music. My teachers' voices sounded boring and flat when they were stimulating before. I crawled into bed and fell asleep at the end of the day. Do you honestly think I would choose to live like this?
  • Laziness. Laziness means that one puts minimal effort into their day. Anhedonia means that I need to exert myself more in order to actually do stuff. I still feel compulsive urges to do things even though I don't have the energy to motivate myself to do them. 
I would have put more items, but, in my anhedonic state, even writing is tedious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I won't know what you have to say unless you say it.