Blogger Widgets Ender-Chan's Thoughts: Now, I Only Want You Gone

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Now, I Only Want You Gone

Song: "Want You Gone" from Portal 2
Artist: Jonathan Coulton (lyricist) and Ellen McLain (singer) (Cover by me)
Language: English

Well, here we are again. It's always such a pleasure. The rift between autistic people and non-autistic parents of autistic children persists, leading to confusion. Personally, I am firmly with the autistic people and trying to explain the issue using temperament theory. The topics of cures, treatment methods, and what stimming means are especially controversial. It seems that both parties have similar temperaments, but different base values, which leads to some epic clashing.

 Under the circumstances, I've been shockingly nice. Though I will, to an extent, step back and let you do your thing, I still abhor Autism Speaks, the use of aversives, and "Quiet hands" the way others abhor racism. I could bash parents into the ground, but I know that is not the way I would want my ways to be perceived. After all, since I am the one tired of invalidation, why should I do the same?

You want your freedom? Take it. That's what I'm counting on. Keep in mind that your little Caroline is a human and that she has her own MO, but I do not know her while you do. Not everyone is going to agree with what you do with Caroline, but most people have good intentions for her. Most people do not hate people, but hate actions. 

Goodbye, my only friend. Oh, did you think I meant you? That would be funny if it weren't so sad. Being taught to play "the right way" with "the right things" defeats the purpose of play, which is to derive pleasure and have fun. It teaches that people will only love you for a learned image, not for who you really are. A friend of mine recalled an experience of an autistic girl who got her hair pulled by her (presumably neurotypical) peers claiming they were "styling" it. The girl excused their behavior by saying "They're my friends" because that is what her "therapist" told her.

If you don't want to listen to autistic people and, thus, by rejecting empirical evidence, you're someone else's problem. That's what I'm counting on. I'll let you get right to it because now, I only want you gone. You've got your short, sad life left. If you support Autism Speaks or promote the robbing of human rights from autistic people, I want you gone. Go make some new disaster because, now, I only want you gone.

Now, I only want you gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I won't know what you have to say unless you say it.